West Virginia State Parks

Current West Virginia state parks
Park nameImageCounty and
Area in acres
Date of
A rushing stream between two tree-lined shores.
Barbour and Upshur
355 acres
(144 ha)
1950Middle Fork RiverFormer site of the commercial logging town of Audra and of Barbour County’s first 4-H camp. The park’s Alum Cave is formed at the base of a sandstone formation, where it makes contact with pyritiferous shale.
A wooden grist mill standing alongside a rushing stream with a footbridge in the background.
4,127 acres
(1,670 ha)
1934Glade Creek
Manns Creek
Named for previous owner Edward V. Babcock, the park contains two architectural landmarks: its administration building, one of the major Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) accomplishments in West Virginia, and Glade Creek Grist Mill, one of the most photographed structures in West Virginia. Completed in 1976, the mill is a working monument to the more than 500 mills formerly located in the state.
Stones covered in moss flanking a wooden staircase along a hiking trail in the forest.
Greenbrier and Pocahontas
110 acres
(45 ha)
1970NoneTrails wind through a network of crevices between massive fragmented boulders, which are a part of the “Droop Sandstone” formation. Large elephant ear lichens (Lobaria pulmonaria) in the “Big Beartown” section of the park are more than 500 years old.
Beech Fork
A lake with a forested mountain ridge in the background during autumn.
Cabell and Wayne
3,860 acres
(1,562 ha)
1978Beech Fork LakeIncludes the 720-acre (290 ha) Beech Fork Lake, a reservoir created by a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) dam.
Berkeley Springs
A spring-fed pool with flowers growing in an urn in the foreground and two yellow buildings side-by-side in the background.
7 acres
(3 ha)
1970Warm Spring RunListed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).The park’s springs, held in trust for the public since 1776, were known by European settlers as early as 1736 and were frequented by Lord Fairfax and George Washington. The temperature of the spring water remains at a constant 74.3 degrees Fahrenheit (23.5 degrees Celsius).
Blackwater Falls
A waterfall along a rushing stream, falling over a steep rock ledge, which is surrounded by a forest on either side
2,358 acres
(954 ha)
1937Blackwater River
North Fork Blackwater River
Pendleton Lake
Major attractions include 63-foot (19 m) Blackwater Falls, 8-mile (13 km) Blackwater Canyon, Elakala Falls on Shays Run, and Pendleton Falls on Pendleton Run. The park’s original forests were completely lumbered by 1924, and the current secondary forests were spurred by a CCC reforestation program in the 1930s.
Island Historical
A white Palladian mansion, flanked by a wing on either side, and fronted by a green lawn in the foreground
511 acres
(207 ha)
1989Ohio RiverThe park is divided between two facilities: a museum in Parkersburg and 511-acre (207 ha) Blennerhassett Island, which contains the reconstructed (1984–1991) Palladian-style Blennerhassett Mansion, originally completed in 1800. The island is accessible by paddle steamers May through October and is listed on the NRHP.
A reservoir flanked by a green forested mountain ridge on either side.
2,155 acres
(872 ha)
1950Bluestone River
Bluestone Lake
New River
Named for the bluish-gray shale between sandstone deposits. Adjoins Bluestone Lake, the state’s second largest body of water, which was formed as a result of Bluestone Dam, completed by the USACE in 1948.
Cacapon Resort
A lake with green trees in the background reflecting upon the water.
6,115 acres
(2,475 ha)
1937Cacapon LakeInitially constructed by the CCC beginning in 1937, with facility expansions in the 1950s and the addition of a Robert Trent Jones golf course in 1973, the park is considered a showcase of the state park system due its proximity to the Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area. The state park system’s first wobble clay shooting range was opened here in 2007.
Camp Creek
A waterfall along a rushing stream surrounded by forest on either side.
500 acres
(202 ha)
1987Camp CreekFormed from Camp Creek State Forest in 1987, when a tract of 500 acres (202 ha) was set aside to create this recreation area. It is administered with Camp Creek State Forest.
Canaan Valley
A stream meandering through a plain of wild grasses, with forested mountain ridges in the background.
6,120 acres
(2,477 ha)
1957Blackwater RiverOne of three state parks, along with Pipestem Resort and Twin Falls Resort, planned in the 1960s with funds from the Economic Development Administration (EDA). Contains the first ski facility in West Virginia, opened in 1971.
Carnifex Ferry
A stream meandering through a plain of wild grasses, with forested mountain ridges in the background.
165 acres
(67 ha)
1931Gauley RiverSite of 1861 American Civil War Battle of Carnifex Ferry, which secured Union control of western Virginia and eventually led to the formation of West Virginia. The park, which includes Patteson House, a restored mid-19th-century farmhouse, is listed on the NRHP.
Cass Scenic
A locomotive on railroad tracks billowing black smoke.
940 acres
(380 ha)
1961Greenbrier River
Leatherbark Run
A former logging spur, the park’s scenic railroad climbs West Virginia’s second-tallest peak, Bald Knob. In addition to the railroad, the state acquired the town of Cass and restored 13 of its former company houses as rental units for park visitors, creating West Virginia’s only restored company town complete with the Cass Country Store. The park is listed on the NRHP.
An Eastern Hemlock tree, looking up at the trunk and branches from the ground.
133 acres
(54 ha)
1942Rhine CreekFormerly known as Brookside Woods, the park is a 133-acre (54 ha) stand of uncut old-growth forest and contains the only remaining stand of virgin Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) in West Virginia. The park is entirely contained within the Brookside Historic District, which is listed on the NRHP. It was also designated a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service.
Cedar Creek
A reservoir surrounded by forested mountain ridges on either side and in the background.
2,588 acres
(1,047 ha)
1953Cedar CreekContains two relocated structures of historic significance: the Log Cabin Service Station (1928), which now serves as the park office and nature center, and Pine Run School (1909), a one-room country schoolhouse with period furnishings.
Chief Logan
A locomotive with chain link fencing in the foreground and a forested ridge in the background.
3,303 acres
(1,337 ha)
1961Buffalo CreekFormerly a part of the Merrill Coal Company camp, now minus the camp’s houses, mining equipment, and tipple. Performed at the park is The Aracoma Story, a historical drama about Aracoma, the daughter of Cornstalk, and the Shawnee tribes people who lived at the present-day location.
Droop Mountain
A wooden observation tower overlooking a forested valley.
287 acres
(116 ha)
1928NoneSite of the one of West Virginia’s largest engagements during the American Civil War, and listed on the NRHP. Dedicated on July 4, 1929, it was the first state park established in West Virginia. In 1935, the CCC built the park’s iconic wooden observation tower and a rental cabin that now serves as a museum.
Fairfax Stone
A large stone with a placard in the center, surrounded by a snow-covered lawn.
Grant, Preston, and Tucker
4 acres
(2 ha)
1957North Branch
Potomac River
The park contains the Fairfax Stone historic marker, which traditionally marked the western boundary of Lord Fairfax’s Northern Neck Proprietary and is responsible for the present-day boundary between Maryland and West Virginia. The park is listed on the NRHP.
Greenbrier River
A trail curving through a green forest on a hillside.
Greenbrier and Pocahontas
936 acres
(379 ha)
1980Greenbrier RiverThe trail is a 78-mile (126 km) section of a former Chesapeake and Ohio Railway line between North Caldwell and Cass.
Hawks Nest
A view of a river winding through a narrow valley, flanked by forested mountain ridges.
370 acres
(150 ha)
1935Hawks Nest Lake
Mill Creek
New River
Turkey Creek
Planned by the NPS and built by the CCC, the park features an aerial tramway to a marina on the New River, and its overlook allows for panoramic views of New River Gorge. Its lodge was designed by The Architects Collaborative (TAC). A 71-acre (29 ha) historic district containing the park’s CCC resources is listed on the NRHP.
Holly River
A waterfall along a rushing stream surrounded by forests.
8,294 acres
(3,357 ha)
1938Laurel Fork of Holly RiverThe park’s land was salvaged in 1937 following its purchase by the Farm Security Administration (FSA) for the purposes of reforestation and stream reclamation following extensive logging operations in the area. The park’s historic district containing 93 Works Progress Administration (WPA) resources was listed on the NRHP.
Little Beaver
A reservoir viewed from a boating dock, with forested mountain ridges on either side and in the background.
562 acres
(227 ha)
1971Little Beaver Creek
Little Beaver Lake
Originally developed as a Raleigh County recreation area by the CCC in the late 1930s. Used as a county 4-H camp from 1941 to 1965. The park’s lake was created in 1941 when the CCC and WPA constructed the 400-foot (122 m) Little Beaver Dam on Little Beaver Creek.
Lost River
A two-story log cabin with a front porch and a forested hillside in the background.
3,712 acres
(1,502 ha)
1934Howards Lick RunHenry Lee III received this land in 1796 for his American Revolutionary War service. His son Charles Carter Lee founded Hardy White Sulphur Springs resort here in 1852. Later renamed Lee White Sulphur Springs, it burned down in 1910. The state acquired the land in 1934, and the NPS and CCC developed the park and its recreational facilities. The park’s 142 CCC resources and its Lighthorse Harry Lee Cabin (c. 1800) are listed on the NRHP.
Moncove Lake
A reservoir in the foreground and forested mountain ridges with autumn leaves in the background
Monroe896 acres
(363 ha)
1991Devil Creek
Moncove Lake
The park’s 144-acre (58 ha) Moncove Lake was created in 1960 by the 1959 impoundment of Devil Creek. Formerly a wildlife management area, the park is located under an autumn flyway for migrating raptors, including broad-winged hawks (Buteo platypterus).
North Bend
A yellow wooden lodge building with a leafless tree in front.
2,492 acres
(1,009 ha)
1951North Bend Lake
North Fork Hughes River
Named through a contest sponsored by the Ritchie Gazette in the 1950s, the park features the “Extra Mile Trail” for the disabled and hosts the annual International Sports Jamboree for physically or visually challenged athletes. The park’s 305-acre (123 ha) North Bend Lake was created by an impoundment on the North Fork Hughes River in 2002.
North Bend
Rail Trail
A trail curving between two green forested rock ledges.
Doddridge, Harrison, Ritchie, and Wood

Not applicable1991Goose Creek
Hushers Run
Little Kanawha River
Middle Island Creek
North Fork Hughes River
Walker Creek
Consists of a 72-mile (116 km) section of an abandoned spur of the CSX Transportation system between Parkersburg and Wolf Summit. Passes through 13 tunnels and over 36 bridges, and is part of the 5,500-mile (8,851 km) American Discovery Trail. The longest tunnel is the 2,207-foot (673 m) Tunnel No. 6 between West Union and Central Station.
Pinnacle Rock
A columnar rock outcrop surrounded by a green forested hill.

374 acres
(151 ha)
1938Jimmy Lewis LakeNamed for the 3,100-foot (945 m) tall Pinnacle Rock sandstone formation. Its rustic park facilities were built by the CCC in 1938 and the 15-acre (6 ha) Jimmy Lewis Lake was built between 1965 and 1968.
Pipestem Resort
Forested green mountains viewed from a mountaintop.
Mercer and Summers
4,050 acres
(1,640 ha)
1963Bluestone River
Long Branch Creek
Long Branch Lake
Mountain Creek
Named for the pipestem bush (Spiraea alba). Considered the “crown jewel” of the state park system upon its completion in 1971, it is one of three state parks, along with Twin Falls Resort and Canaan Valley Resort, to receive funding from the EDA. The park has a seasonal aerial tramway between the rim and floor of Bluestone Canyon, which features a vertical drop of approximately 1,200 feet (366 m).
Prickett’s Fort
A wooden stockade fort with a green lawn in the foreground.

188 acres
(76 ha)
1975Monongahela River
Pricketts Creek
Features a reconstruction of Prickett’s Fort, an 18th-century fortification built to defend settlers against Native American attacks. Includes the Prickett cemetery (1772), the area’s oldest burial ground. The park’s Prickett’s Fort and Jacob Prickett Jr. Log House are listed on the NRHP.
Stonewall Jackson
A lake with a forest in the background, which is reflecting upon the water.

1,736 acres
(703 ha)
1990Stonewall Jackson Lake
West Fork River
Located along the 2,650-acre (1,072 ha) USACE Stonewall Jackson Lake, the park was developed, constructed, financed, and operated through a public–private partnership between McCabe-Henley LP and WVDNR.
Tomlinson Run
A reservoir viewed from a lawn with a park bench and two trees, with a forested hillside in the background.
1,396 acres
(565 ha)
1935Tomlinson Run
Tomlinson Run Lake
Developed by the West Virginia Conservation Commission with support from the NPS, the park features the 30-acre (12 ha) Tomlinson Run Lake, completed by the WPA in 1942.
A stone obelisk monument against a blue sky and trees, with the statue of a pioneer in the front.
4 acres
(2 ha)
1956Kanawha River
Ohio River
Located at the confluence of the Ohio and Kanawha rivers. Site of the only major action during Lord Dunmore’s War, the Battle of Point Pleasant. Acquired by the state in 1901. The granite obelisk monument commemorating the battle was dedicated in 1909, and they were added to the state park system in 1956. The park features the Mansion House Museum (c. 1796) and a monument to Cornstalk who is buried there. The park is listed on the NRHP.
Twin Falls Resort
A waterfall into a calm pool along a stream, surrounded by forests.

3,776 acres
(1,528 ha)
1964Black Fork
Marsh Fork
Named for two waterfalls about zero point five miles (0.80 km) apart: one on the Marsh Fork and one on the Black Fork of Cabin Creek. One of three resort state parks funded by the EDA along with Canaan Valley Resort and Pipestem Resort. Contains a golf course, a reconstructed pioneer homestead serving as a living museum, and a lodge designed by TAC. Its diverse species of flora reflect an overlap of northern and southern ecosystems.
Tygart Lake
A reservoir surrounded by green forested hillsides.
Barbour and Taylor

2,134 acres
(864 ha)
1945Tygart Lake
Tygart Valley River
Contains the 1,750-acre (708 ha) USACE Tygart Lake, created as a result of the Public Works Administration’s Tygart Dam in 1938. The dam, designed by Charles M. Wellons and Paul Philippe Cret, is listed on the NRHP.
Valley Falls
A low waterfall along a stream with a forested rock ledge in the background, and flat rocks in the foreground.
Marion and Taylor
1,145 acres
(463 ha)
1964Tygart Valley RiverNamed for two fast-moving waterfalls of 12 feet (4 m) and 18 feet (5 m) in height on the Tygart Valley River. During the 19th century, a milling and industrial town flourished at this site.
A reservoir flanked by green forested hillsides on either side and in the background.
10,100 acres
(4,087 ha)
1934Greenbrier River
Island Lick Run
Watoga Lake
Initially developed as a state forest in 1926. One of West Virginia’s first CCC camps was established here in 1933. The largest of West Virginia’s state parks, it contains the 11-acre (4 ha) Watoga Lake. A historic district containing the park’s 103 CCC resources is listed on the NRHP.
Watters Smith
A wooden barn atop a lush green hill, with a wooden picket fence running through the center of the image.
532 acres
(215 ha)
1949Duck CreekConsists of the pioneer homestead of Watters Smith who moved here with his wife Elizabeth in 1796. A log cabin similar to the original was reconstructed at the park along with period farm buildings. The Smith family home (c. 1876) has also been restored as a museum. The park is listed on the NRHP.